Thursday, July 2, 2015

Luke 7:50- Your Faith has Saved You, Go In Peace... Bible Art Journaling- Day One :-)

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share with you today my very first Bible Art Journaling page that I created using the Splitcoaststampers CC537 Color  Challenge – Hello Honey, Cucumber Crush and Watermelon Wonder (minus the dessert- although salvation is "sweet" for sure!).  

Recently, it has come to my attention that there is such a thing known as Bible Art or Bible Faith Journaling.   I have always taken notes in my Bible and highlighted certain verses of Scripture but it never occurred to me to actually create art as a form of worship with my daily devotions or Bible Studies.

There are so many inspirational artists out there doing this very thing- I was inspired by the art of Karla Dornacher for this page (I drew the images by free hand but Karla does sell bookmarks that have this verse along with art that you can use for your own coloring and artwork).    I love her whimsical style and modified the artwork and lettering a bit to make it my own.

Another artist, Stephanie Ackerman at Homegrown Hospitality has a section called DocumentedFaith and in addition to teaching, also has numerous ideas on her blog.   Also, there is Illustrated Faith and ArtsyFaith- not to mention many more (just google "Bible Art Journaling" for a tremendous source of ideas).

If you are interested, I have set up a Pinterest board called Bible Journaling and we have started a challenge thread at Splitcoaststampers for Bible Art Journaling (first challenge is “Getting  Started” - see details here).

After fiddling around some more with song lyrics and "peace" doodling 
In addition, there has been a Splitcoaststampers' gallery designated for Bible Art Journaling, and if this is something that you are working on, we would love to see your artwork in the gallery.  If you do not have a profile on Splitcoaststampers, it is very easy to set up and there is no cost...  unless you decide to become a Fan Club Member, (which I highly encourage you to do so)- no, I do not receive commission from Splitcoaststampers :-) , but they have such a wealth of information for stamping, tutorials, etc. that the $25.00 US yearly cost for membership helps to maintain their massive site...pennies a day for a site such as theirs- the best bargain around!!

To get started in Bible Art Journaling, you do not need many supplies.  You may want to use a Wide Margin Bible (which I do own but it is in hiding right now :-)) and since the rest are not wide margin, I decided to create a journal using sheet protectors and a ring binder.  This way I can practice before drawing right into my Bible :-)

Today, I decided to start my journal using a printed page of Scripture from Luke 7:36-50 using the NKJV from the free website BibleGateway.   

Luke 7:36-7:50 is very meaningful part of Scripture to both my husband and I since this was the section of the Bible that spoke to both of us (almost twenty years ago) when we accepted Christ as our personal Savior. 

A former State Policeman, Tom Harmon had come to our local church for their Family Weekend,  and he preached on this message... unbeknownst to either of us, my husband and I both prayed to accept Christ during the invitational prayer that very same night!!  

I realized that if Christ could forgive this women and her faith could save her, then He could forgive my many sins and save me as well!!  At that point, I believed that Christ came to earth as a man, died on the cross for my sins, rose again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of the Father!   Our lives have been forever changed and even though we are still sinners, we are saved by the Grace of God and will spend all eternity with Christ, our Lord and Savior!!  Hallelujah, what a Savior!!

Original layout
This is the very reason why I have decided to start Bible Art Journaling!  He has given us all talents to use to glorify Him and I want to use my art for that very purpose :-)

So, I copied the NJKV verses from BibleGateway into a Word document, changed the font to Tempus Sans ITC and printed out the page onto Whisper White cardstock.   What I did not do was proof read before printing and noticed that some of the words that were in italics did not space properly- note to self…proof read before printing- lol!!

At that point, I used a ruler to space out what I wanted to draw and penciled in the drawing.  I used Pigma Micron™ Pens in .20, .25, .35 widths along with Stampin’ Up! Hello Honey, Cucumber Crush and Watermelon Wonder inks and markers and a Rexel Derwent® Turquoise Blue #39 Watercolor Pencil.

After first layer of coloring :-)
One of the things that I discovered was that the Pigma Micron™ pens are not completely waterproof, so next time, I will either not add watercolor or use Faber-Castell® Pitt Pens for watercolor (another note to self :-)). 

I also discovered that I kept adding elements- the lyrics for part of the song “InChrist Alone” by Keith and Kristyn Getty, the scroll border, more arrows, etc.  So I believe that you may find that you are never finished your page- lol!!
I am looking forward to this new type of art form and will most likely incorporate stamps along with other mixed media in the future.

Thanks again for stopping by- I hope all of you have a blessed week!!  

5 comments:

Chriserendipity said...

Julie, this type of 'faith' art work is relatively new to me, and I am absolutely thrilled to see it! Your example is marvelous, and like all your other art samples, is a true reflection of the gifts God has bestowed upon you. Thanks for channeling it in that way! Chris

Julie Gearinger said...

Thanks Chris for your sweet comment! Yes, this form of art is new to me as well but there are many talent artists sharing their Bible Art Journaling and I am so thrilled to start! Thanks again for taking the time to visit my blog and comment- hugs to you and God Bless!

Debra said...

Fantastic blog post. I love your testimony of faith in Jesus Christ.

Dianne said...

Julie, your Faith Art is simply beautiful. I've followed your blog for such a long time and this is my first comment. I love your sharing of your Christian faith. I look forward to your future creations!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Thank you for bringing to our attention about faith journaling. Wouldn't I love to do something like that for my sister and mom. Your work is magnificent as always.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...